Sunday, February 8, 2009

The Birth Story

So we have been blessed with Genevieve for over a week now and I am finally sitting down to post about her birth. Truthfully I don't like to put her down long enough to sit and blog but I felt I had better catch up.

So we waited and waited for our little girl to come. Everyone was so anxious for her arrival. I was still having contractions but never enough. So life went on as we waited,
Niyah snuggled with her Dad
Harley was given a pink belly.
Jeb had his Birthday, HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I really thought she would come on his birthday, but no, all he received was a chocolate cake..... and a new lantern for camping.
Till finally on Weds. January 28th the doctor decided to induce me, (just short of two weeks over again!) SO we went into the hospital at 5:00 AM.
(here I am, at the hospital, baby still in)
The girls were taken to some wonderful people in our branch, we had many people volunteer to help us out. The went to the Anderson's in the morning, the Salmons in the afternoon.
So at the hospital at five, of course it took awhile for them to set me up, make me sign papers, put me in the bed, insert the IV and then we waited for the doctor to arrive. Then he came talked to us about all the possibilities of birth. I had to sign more papers agreeing that I understand things that could happen in birth, (I had to sign that I understood there would be pain, who knew????) Needless to say I found the paper work amusing.
After all that though the doctor left, he told them to start my pitosin which of course took them a while longer to finalize. So between 8:30 and 9:00 I began my pitosin, meaning I started labor.

It was good and intense, it progressed quickly. At one point around 11:30 I told them I was going to need to push they said no you are only at a 5 or 6. This discouraged me because there was a lot of pain. At this point they gave me the drug (I don't know its name) that is meant to calm you down, and make you sleepy. It was nice because I rested between contractions Not that I had many left.

At 12:00 however Jeb was in the bathroom and I said JEBBB! Tell them to come check me I am going to push. The nurse came in (she was great by the way) and said OH! yep thats a baby head. With lots of hair, I'll go call the doctor. From there my memory is slightly delirious. All of the sudden the doctor was there and he said it was ok for me to push. So I did. Funny part the nice nurse said to me, she just right there, why don't you reach down and feel her head..... I said no, she asked me again on the next push and I snapped pretty loud NO! In my head I thought oh that was rude she was trying to be nice. So I then quickly added, but thank you for asking. Jeb says the nurse and doctor looked at each other laughing, and said "but thank you for asking?????" they thought I was pretty funny because as they said "I was so polite the whole time." The nurse even said you were so amazing, your mother would be proud... hmmm ok.
Then at 12:18 Genevieve was born!
So labor didn't take to long, and the doctor was great! It was probably my best delivery.

Shortly afterwards, we brought over the girls to see her. They were so excited.
Jeb changing the 2nd diaper, a nurse changed the first one.
So on Thursday afternoon we were able to bring her home!
Here is her cradle by our bed. I love this cradle it rocks and she loves it too.
Sleepy angel.

7 comments:

Traci Elizabeth said...

Priceless! I am glad delivery went so well. She is beautiful and your whole family looks great.

bloodfamily said...

I'm glad that everything went so well. That picture of all the girls is priceless. They look so happy. Congrats on another beautiful daughter.

WalkConkies said...

How sweet! We are so happy for you guys! It is funny that you told that story about the nurse wanting you to touch the hair b/c my sister was just telling me about a friend of hers who was asked if she wanted to deliver her own baby! Ha, ha - I would have said "No" too! Can't wait to see you guys again, but for now I'm happy you have a blog!

Rachel H. said...

that is funny, "thanks for asking" I think I had the same drug with Michael and it made me so loopy, I don't think I'd take it again, but then again, the pain with him was pretty severe. I don't think I'd do well under torture. Glad you and Genevieve are safe and healthy! Congrats!

maddison and tami said...

she is so beautiful...

Derek-Jenny-Kaitlynd-Ethan-Dylan said...

Oh, Salinda, you guys are so very blessed. What a little cutie.
I can tell there is so much love in your home.
I hope you are doing OK. Please keep us updated!

So, Homeschool, I use a program called K12. It is offered free through many states in the US. You could check it out online at www.k12.com.
I am able to use as few subjects as I like. So I get Literature, History, Science and Art through K12. I use Saxon for their math and I LOVE it. The kids can really do most of it on their own and I help them with new concepts. It is great. What are you using? I would love some more ideas for next year.

Janeal and Brett said...

I am so happy for you guys! She looks beautiful, just like your other girls. I hope all is going well. Love you guys.