Friday, August 8, 2008

Fussa Celebration

So we went to the Fussa celebration. Fussa is a city. We had such a great time!! It was our first experience with a Japanese celebration. I took a few pics and video. Not enough though as of course my camera died. Do I ever remember to charge this thing??? But I hope you enjoy what we did take! Oh and here is a web site about it you can check out.

So first it was just fun being where it was all decorated so fun. All the streets with these hanging lanterns. The girls had fun walking through them. These pictures where taken before it got really crowded which it did later. So here are some pictures of just the sights.






Harley took this picture of a golden dragon. She liked it.

Then I saw this building! I couldn't believe it. I just had to share. The Japanese laughed at me when I took a picture of it. I was laughing myself though. I just couldn't believe they had curves here.

Here are some ladies dancing. The dancing went on for hours and hours in this continuous parade! One group after another doing these traditional dances. It was fun to watch.





This video was meant to be a picture but I had my camera on the wrong mode. Oh well its cute anyway.





More dancing groups.

And now the carrying of the shrine. I just have to say that this video does it absolutely no justice at all. It was just crazy. It was soooo loud. And then this was the mild group carrying the shrine, the groups behind them where rough, pushing and shoving each other apparently you have to battle to bring the shrine in or something. And many of the men where in traditional outfits that were well like the Sumo wrestlers. Lets just say men without pants jumping up and down carrying this shrine, something else to see. I didn't take any video of that as I would have felt weird taking pictures of them especially since this one man was winking at me while he jumped. Harley turned to me and said mom I feel so bad those men are to poor to even buy pants we should help them! HAHA I explained to her that they could afford pants they just choose not to wear them for tradition. She was embarrassed after that. Especially she said because of the "shiny stuff in their bums" Well you don't get to see any "bums" but here are some people carrying the shrine. It was so neat to watch!!




If you can see here the people pushing against the shrine, as if they were trying to stop it. Not sure why but they made it very hard for the carriers.

It was a great time! I enjoyed sharing it with everyone. Hope you found it entertaining.

(before the shrines)

( the stopping point for the shrines it was in front of the city office)

3 comments:

Rachel H. said...

What wonderful memories and experiences for your girls. Love your posts!

Lara said...

Salinda, I hope you don't mind me popping in on your blog! I just ran into it today. I loved your post! My sister went to Japan on her mission, she now teaches Japanese in California and visits Japan every year...I have heard lots of stories about how cool it is to see these celebrations and to have everyone dancing in the street. I can visualize it now with your pictures and videos. Thanks for sharing! If you want to pop on my blog it is: http://cookeninnv.blogspot.com

Lara (Swasey) Cook

Brittany said...

Wow, you are a ways away from home. I think I would be in culture shock!! I am glad you found our blog. We moved to Riverside, which is just over 3 hours north of Price. Hope all is well on the other side of the world. Keep in touch.