Thursday, January 1, 2009

December....

So December has now come and gone. It was a very busy month, between church activities, work things, and just the Holidays it seemed to go by quickly. It was different being so far away from family but in truth we had a great Christmas. In many ways we loved just being us. After so much time apart who can blame us? NO exciting trips out in Japan to report. We were to busy and I am feeling to big and pregnant!
So in getting ready for Christmas, I had to convince Jeb that we really did need a Christmas tree. Since we didn't bring our nice fake one that left us the option of buying a fake one for a couple hundred dollars or a real one for twenty something. I choose real. So I went to pick it up and when I brought it home this is what I unwrapped.....

I don't know if you can see it clearly but it was several inches of pine needles. The tree was so dead. Every time we touched it a whole shower of needles would fall to the ground. The tag on it said it came from California. So we figure they cut it down in around Sept. or Oct. To ship it over here because they went on sale the day after Thanksgiving. Poor tree.
Once it was decorated it wasn't so bad.





(looks yummy huh?)
This year to give out to friends I made rum cake and sugar cookies. The rum cake was great and only raised a few eyebrows in the branch. I think that's the whole reason Jeb wanted me to make rum cake actually.... always a rebel. The cookies were because we had a primary activity and I made about a hundred cookies for it. For some reason almost half of mine were not used. So I gave them away with the rum cake. I didn't need more goodies around the house!



Christmas came and it was great. We do our best to keep our Christmas's simple. Still it was fun to find things for the girls. All Harley wanted was a Kimono. Niyah wanted the same as Harley, then later added a drum but we could not find one. So they received their own CD player/karaoke (since they love to turn on their music on our computer now they have their own music in their room) They love it! They love turning on their music and singing all the time now. Then of course lots of books, art supplies, the kimono's and a school computer game each. Then they were spoiled by the grandparents too. So they seemed to find lots to keep them happy. Oh and Christmas eve was spent with some friends (the Wilsons) over for Christmas eve dinner. It was really fun. Then they invited us over for a Feliz Navidad party on Christmas day. Which was always great with INCREDIBLE food! Allison Wilson is an amazing cook. It was a no kidding progressive six course dinner. I forgot to take pictures at both dinners but trust me I was to busy enjoying to remember to take pictures.
So here are some pictures of Christmas morning anyway.
They loved their Kimonos!


t
Isn't she stylish?


Her new dress up, she was not willing to wear it since it showed her belly!


This is what Jeb received from parents. Its exactly what he wanted and he loved it.



The first thing they did after all was opened and they were waiting for breakfast, paint. They love painting and drawing.


That's pretty much all we have to share for now. On a side note for those who asked if Japanese celebrate Christmas. They do, its kind of funny. They enjoy celebrating it and having parties but it has no other meaning to them. Someone compared it to how we celebrate Halloween. Truthfully to the pagans it is a very important religious holiday, to us it is no more then a celebration with candy and games. It is the same with most of Japan towards Christmas. There are a few Christians who think of it a bit differently. Still it is not as big as in the US.
oh and for an update. I am sooo ready to have this baby. Only a couple more weeks till she is due, but I have been having lots of contractions. Pretty steadily, but not strong enough to do anything yet. Just enough to wear me out! So everyone think positive and maybe she will be here sooner, not two weeks late like my other two. :)

10 comments:

Debra said...

how fun...love the rum cake. when i was in early morning seminary back in Iowa I always took a big mug of hot chocolate with me and my seminary teacher always freaked out cuz she said it looked like I was drinking coffee. i just kept doing it anyway. gave all of us teenagers a good laugh.

good luck w/ labor and delivery! hope they have epidurals over there!

Rachel H. said...

looks like a nice Christmas, I remember when we lived in Tucson, it was a nice Christmas to spend it alone, no other family demands. You have to post a pregnant picture of yourself, can't wait for your new arrival to introduce herself!

Derek-Jenny-Kaitlynd-Ethan-Dylan said...

I will think pray for you.
I am glad you had a good Christmas.
We sure miss you guys!

WalkConkies said...

We're so excited for your new little one. Glad you had a good Christmas!!! It's a good thing you were there to give that Christmas tree some tender loving care :). We miss you guys!

Brittany said...

Looks like you guys had a great Christmas. Hope all continues to go well.

Unknown said...

I was laughing so hard when I saw that first pathetic photo of the tree all out of the bag... but then I saw that you decorated it really nice! Wow! I can't wait to see a post about your new baby. Can I just say that I am very jealous of your foreign life right now. I would love a year away from all family and friends. Just to take a break and focus on what is really important. I am too stressed right now. I wish so bad that there was a way that Jeff could get an English job outside the USA.

Gary and Char said...

It was fun to see pictures of Christmas, we missed you guys sooooo much! Harley, when I bought the dress up, I thought you could wear a t-shirt under it! Sorry if it made you feel bad sweetie:)
Has Jeb cooked anything on the stove yet?
Love you guys

Traci Elizabeth said...

Hey Salinda!! I had no idea all of you guys blog! Your daughters have gotten so big!!

We are doing great. Cameron is now a police officer and Olivia and Boston are growing up too fast.

my blog is private, if you want to view it, email me at trayc909@yahoo.com and I can send you an invite..

This is a great way to keep in touch! Take care cousin.

kori said...

Salinda,

I can't believe how big your girls are. Congratulations on number 3. I'm very jealous you are living in Japan, it is such a great opportunity. We've always thought it would be so fun to live in another country. Good luck with the new baby. 3's not so bad. Your girls have good taste, I've always liked those kimono's too. It's good catching up with you.
Kori

maddison and tami said...

Your girls are so big and beautiful